Ernest Sellers is a member of the Florida Bar, (admitted November, 1962) U.S.
District Court (Middle District of Florida (admitted 1963) United States Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals (admitted 1986). Since 1962 Sellers has engaged in a civil general practice representing clients in the Federal District Courts of six states, the State Courts of five states, and in the Circuit Courts of thirty of Florida's 67 counties.
Sellers has given lectures at Florida Bar CLE courses in Pensacola, Tallahassee,
Jacksonville, Orlando and Naples. For a number of years he has given a two hour lecture on seed litigation for Dr Michael Olexa’s class at the University of Florida Levin College of Law. He has been a guest lecturer on the subject of Agriculture Products Liability law at the University of Florida College of Agriculture on eight to ten occasions in the last fifteen years.
Sellers has tried to verdict or final judgment a wide range of cases including, but not
limited to eminent domain, personal injury, wrongful death, defective pesticides, defective equipment (combines, tobacco barns, tractors, mowing machines, etc.) partnership dissolution, negotiable instruments (note and mortgages, guaranty agreements) construction contracts, will contests, heirship proceedings, patent infringement suits, defective feed, defective vaccines, divorce and family law matters, contract litigation, partition suits and insurance litigation (auto, life and medical). In addition, Sellers has served as trial counsel for the Florida Judicial Qualification Commission (JQC).
Florida Bar Section memberships: Trial Lawyers; Business Law; General Practice,
Solo & Small Firm; City, County and Local Government Law;
American Bar Section membership: Section of Litigation; Solo, Small Firm and
General Practice Division; Law Practice Management Section;
Member of American Agricultural Law Association
Member of Florida Justice Association
Member of James C. Adkins, Jr. Inn of Court
2009 recipient of the Tradition of Excellence Award given annually to a Florida
attorney or Jurist by the General Practice, Solo and Small Firm section of the Florida Bar.
2012 recipient of the University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences SHARE Volunteer of the Year Award.
University of Florida Law Center Association Board of Trustees 2005 - 2011 and
Emeritus 2012 to present.
Education Foundation Board of Trustees, Alpha Gamma Chapter, Alpha Gamma
Rho 2006 to date.
Member of U.F. IFAS Share Council from 2003 to date.
Member of Executive Committee of IFAS Share Council 2010 to date.
Previous service as:
• President, Suwannee County Chamber of Commerce
• Chairman Board of Directors Suwannee County Hospital
• Member Board of Directors Advent Christian Village
• Chairman Board of Directors Advent Christian Village
• President Live Oak Mens Brotherhood
• Board of Directors of Shands of Live Oak Hospital
• Trustee First Baptist Church, Live Oak, Florida
• Director/Treasure Suwannee County Fair Association
• Treasure/Director Florida Beef Cattle Improvement, Assn.
• Director Suwannee Industrial Development Corp.
• President, Third Circuit Bar Association
Published cases for which Sellers was trial and appellate counsel are as follows:
1. Johnson, et ux v. Rossell, et al., 156 So.2d 190; (Fla 1st DCA 1963)*
2. Grantham v. Grantham, 168 So. 2d 337; (Fla 1st DCA 1964)
3. Hubble v. Hubble, 214 So. 2d 896; (Fla 1st DCA 1968)
4. Huxford v. Huxford, 231 So. 2d 868; (Fla 1st DCA 1970)
5. Platt v. Deese, 298 So. 2d 573 (Fla 1st DCA 1974)
6. Brown v. Johns, 312 So. 2d 526; (Fla 1st DCA 1975)
7. Folsom v. Beauchamp, 330 So. 2d 169; (Fla 1st DCA 1976)
8. Boyette v. Carden, 347 So. 2d 759; (Fla 1st DCA 1977)
9. Jim Walter Homes, Inc. v. Johns, 361 So. 2d 825; (Fla 1st DCA 1978)
10. Allison v. City of Live Oak, Florida et al., 450 F. Supp 200 (1978)
11. U.S.Y. & T. Industries, Inc. v. Charolais Herds & Ranches, Inc., 367 So. 2d 1084; (Fla 1st DCA 1979)
12. Hofer v. Agner, 373 So. 2d 48; (Fla 1st DCA 1979)
13. Mobil Chemical Co. v. Garrison, 392 So.2d 71 (Fla 1st DCA 1980) per curiam
decision affirming an award of compensatory and punitive damages against Mobil
in connection with the sale of Mocap.
14. A. C. Newman, Jr. v. A. E. Staley Manufacturing Co., 648 F.2d 330, (C.A. 5 (Ala.), 1981 )*
15. Miller Construction Co. v. First Baptist Church, Inc., 396 So. 2d 281; (Fla 1st DCA 1981)
16. Beauchamp v. Yazoo Valley Oil & Milling Co., 403 So. 2d 554; (Fla 1st DCA 1982)
17. Haskell v. Forest Land & Timber Co., 408 So. 2d 811; (Fla 1st DCA 1982)
18. Boatright v. Boatright, 411 So. 2d 954; (Fla 1st DCA 1982)
19. Joseph Bucheck Constr. Corp. v. W.E. Music, 420 So. 2d 410; (Fla 1st DCA 1982)
20. Pennington Grain & Seed, Inc. v. Tuten, 422 So. 2d 948; (Fla 1st DCA 1982)
21. Haskell v. Forest Land & Timber Co., 426 So. 2d 1251; (Fla 1st DCA 1983)
22. Suwannee River Government Employees Federal Credit Union v. Rhude, 442 So. 2d 1 033; (Fla 1st DCA 1983)
23. Rigdon v. Rigdon, 461 So. 2d 943 (Fla 1st DCA 1985)
24. Martin v. Carlton, 470 So. 2d 875; (Fla 1st DCA 1985)
25. Bailey v. First Mortg. Corp.,478 So. 2d 502; (Fla 1st DCA 1985)
26. Crawford v. Goldkist, Inc., 614 F. Supp 682 (U.S. Dist. Ct. M.D Florida 1985)
27. Mutual Wholesale Co. v. Mixon, 490 So. 2d 55; (Fla 1st DCA 1986)
28. Crapps v. Crapps, 501 So. 2d 661; (Fla 1st DCA 1987)
29. James Edmondson, et al v. Northrup King and Co., 817 F.2d 742 (1987) (C.A. 11 (Ga.), 1987)
30. Asgrow Seed Co. v. Sanchez, 525 So. 2d 882; (Fla 1st DCA 1988)
31. Walton v. Walton, 537 So. 2d 658; (Fla 1st DCA 1989)
32. Stripling v. Stripling, 538 So. 2d 147; (Fla 1st DCA 1989)
33. Lafayette Forest Prods. v. Auto Owners Ins. Co.,553 So. 2d 1169; (Fla 1st DCA 1989)
34. City of Live Oak, Florida v. Arlie K. Townsend, et ux, et al, 567 So. 2d 926 (Fla 1st DCA 1990)
35. Nott v. Howell, 560 So. 2d 41 0; (Fla 1st DCA 1990)
36. Parker v. Nix, 580 So. 2d 178; (Fla 1st DCA 1991)
37. Barnett Bank of North Central Florida v. Commonwealth Land Title Ins. Co., 609 So. 2d 41; (Fla 1st DCA 1992)
38. In re Code of Judicial Conduct, 603 So. 2d 494 (Fla Supreme Court 1992)
39. McKnight v. McCall, 618 S. 2d 215; (Fla 1st DCA 1993)
40. McMullen v. McMullen, 630 So. 2d 1105; (Fla 1st DCA 1993)
41. In re Glickstein, 620 So. 2d 1000 (Fla Supreme Court 1993)
42. Saunders v. Dees, 640 So. 2d 1113; (Fla 1st DCA 1994)
43. Mullis v. Speight Seed Farms, Inc., 505 S.E. 2d 818; (234 Ga. App. 27, 1998)*
44. Collins v. Collins, 873 So.2d 1261; (Fla 1st DCA 2004)
45. Gibbs Patrick Farms, Inc. v. Syngenta Seeds, Inc. and R.D. Clifton Co. Inc., d/b/a Clifton Seed Co. Georgia, 7:06-cv-48 (HL) 2006*
46. Lowe v. Hirsch, et us, et al., ID10-0455; (Fla 1st DCA 2010)
47. Yancey v. Watkins, et al., 708 S.E.2d 539; (Ga. App. 2011)*
48. Farm Credit of Northwest Florida, ACA v. Easom Peanut Co.,et al., 718 S.E. 2d 590; (Ga. App. 374)*
49. Thigpen v. Clayton, 115 So. 3d 1007; (Fla 1st DCA 2013)
50. Cessac v. Stevens, 127 So 3d 675; (Fla 1st DCA 2013)
*-Trial Counsel or Co-Counsel only.
Sellers, Taylor & Morrison, P.A.
Law Firm | Live Oak, Florida
ERNEST A. SELLERS
LUCAS J. TAYLOR
PROBATE & ESTATE LAW
AGRICULTURE AND SEED LAW
FAMILY & DIVORCE LAW
108 West Howard Street
Live Oak, Florida 32064
Phone: (386) 208-1080
Facsimile: (386) 208-1090